Augustine Onyeaghala (PhD, FWAPCMLS, FMLSCN, MSQA)
Medical Laboratory Scientist, Quality Assurance Professional
Professor Augustine is a Medical Laboratory Scientist, Quality Assurance Professional, Clinical Research Scientist and Professor. He had his basic degree in Medical laboratory science, Special Fellowship of the Medical Laboratory Science of Nigeria in Chemical Pathology, MSc in Chemical Pathology and PhD in Clinical Research. Aside his academic pursuit and attainment, he has received various certifications from different organizations some of which are: WHO/TDR, MLSCN, Kriger Canada, UCLA among others.
Prof. Onyeaghala has over 26+ years experience covering quality assurance, laboratory systems strengthening, clinical research, implementation science and academia. He has played various roles to facilitate and implement different health projects at both national, sub-national and international levels some of which are:
- Clinical Laboratory Consultant- PHIS3/APIN on ART Survey, 2023
- Co-Principal Investigator- Identifying local and effective therapies for COVID-19; TETFUND; 2021-2022.
- Co-Principal Investigator- Validation and Development of National Test Algorithm for COVID-19 using RDT, ELISA Based Kits; NCDC, 2021.
- Consultant – Developing Revised Policy Documents on National Rapid Test Kit (RTK) Harmonization into National HIV/AIDS Testing Algorithm; Federal Ministry of Health, Nigeria, 2021.
- Consultant- Evaluation of National Integrated Specimen Referral Network (NISRN); Federal Ministry of Health /Global Fund, 2020
- Technical Advisor – The Nigeria AIDS Indicator and Impact Survey (NAIIS); University of Maryland, 2018
- Laboratory Director-Afriglobal Medical Diagnostics, Ikeja Lagos. 2014.
Prof Onyeaghala has received different scientific and travelling scholarship awards including the Welcome Trust, National Institute of Health (NIH), UK Medical Research Council Clinical Research Travel grant. He is prolific scientific and academic writer and presenter. He has attended and presented at many local and international conferences and authored excellent number of scientific and industry papers in both reputable local and international journals including Elsevier. He is an author of a book titled quality management system for biomedical and analytical scientists; and has written an online course titled introduction to research which has been accessed by more than 500 biomedical scientists.
Prof Onyeaghala is a passionate clinical research scientist and quality assurance professional. Using his skills in clinical research and quality assurance, he has helped in strengthening laboratory systems for clinical research; and has developed and implemented good clinical trial protocols designed using local supplements. His research interest is focused on clinical and translational benefits of Phytomedicine especially in managing both communicable and non-communicable diseases.
He is a member of many professional bodies both within and outside the country and performs peer review for different Journals and organizations including Society of Quality Assurance, United States, Journal of Public Health in Africa, African Journal of Laboratory Medicine, Journal of Complementary and Alternative Medicine Research just to mention a few. He is a seasoned Mentor, Teacher and Researcher. He has mentored a good number of Scientists undertaking undergraduate, Masters and PhD studies both for Universities within and outside the country. He is currently the Head, Department of Medical Laboratory Science Chrisland University, Abeokuta. He is married and blessed with excellent and brilliant children.